🇺🇸 United States historical map
This map attempts to show all border changes for US States from 1790 to today.
- The changing boundaries are represented with a "lifetime" for each State, i.e. a start and end year.
- To make sure that each states's changing borders are shown only once, the state of the borders at the end of each year (31/12/XXXX) is used.
- For example, Oklahoma State was admitted on November 16, 1907 and consequently was already a state at the end of 1907, so the previous entities (Indian Territory and Oklahoma Territory) have an end date of 1906.
- The map currently changes with a leap of 10 years, but more dates will be available in time.
- Check the accompanying blog post for more info.
Your choices will be saved for your next visits to this map page.
Select the color you want and click on a state on the map. Right-click on it to remove its color, hide it, and more.
Add a title for the map's legend and choose a label for each color group. Change the color for all states in a group by clicking on it.
Drag the legend on the map to set its position or resize it. Use legend options to change its color, font, and more.