What can I do with Historical MapChart?
Change the world! Not really, but you can create a historical map for your school project, your business presentation, your next blog post or your social media account.
Is this free?
It is and will always be free. If this saved you a ton of hours, please consider making a small donation:
Else, you could show your support by visiting the MapChart merchandise store, where you can find really cool map-related T-shirts, hoodies, mugs, and more!
I found a mistake on a map!
Please know that producing accurate historical maps is pretty difficult, taking into account the limited resources available and of course, the fluid borders of countries, kingdoms, duchies, emirates, etc. for a specific era. This is a first attempt to make such a resource available for free, so I need the help of the community to improve and make it as accurate as possible.
Nevertheless, if you found a mistake on the map, I would be happy to check it out and fix it accordingly. Just make sure that you include a link to the image or the source that can back up your claim, so I can easily consider it and make the change.
Are there modern maps available?
Of course, you can check the parent website: MapChart.
How should I credit your site when publishing maps that I have created here?
You are allowed to use, edit and modify any map created with Historical MapChart for private or commercial use/publication freely by adding any kind of reference to Historical MapChart in your work.
Some examples of an appropriate reference:
- Keeping the Created with historicalmapchart.net tag that each map has embedded.
- A simple link to the the front page or any other page of Historical MapChart.
- A text attribution on the page or inside the article/publication where the map chart is used (as a caption, in the credits, etc).
More info here:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
If the above examples do not cover you, don't hesitate to contact me for more details.
Who is behind this?
A single, self-taught, freelance web developer by the name of Minas. I am always available for working on other web or app projects, so contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or by using the form on this page and we can work something out.
I have years of experience in map-related projects, so if you are in need of a custom version of MapChart, an extension of its features, or a new special map, that you can use in your organization, don't hesitate to get in touch.
Is there a mobile app for this?
Yes! Please use the official MapChart mobile app, available for iOS and Android for free.
Learn more here or get it from the store:
My map is not created / I found a bug!
Please try creating your map in Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Edge first, as these are the best supported browsers (Internet Explorer would not work). If you still face an issue, contact me and I will take a look at it as soon as possible. A screenshot of the problem and/or your map's configuration file would be most helpful.
- Maps edited and optimised with Inkscape.
- Color palette based on www.ColorBrewer.org
- Color picker based on Spectrum jQuery plugin.
- All world maps in Robinson projection.
- Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.
- App Store and iOS are trademarks of Apple Inc.
Tell me about:
- Awesome mapcharts you have created!
- Ideas for new countries or regions to add.
- Any feature recommendation.
- Any bug or problem that you may encounter.
- Any opportunity for cooperation between me and you.
If you are submitting an issue or bug, please provide additional information to help with troubleshooting, such as:
- Which browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.) and OS (Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc.) are you using?
- What actions you were doing when you encountered the bug, e.g. "coloring multiple countries" or "uploading a map's configuration"?
- Sending me a .txt with a saved configuration would also be helpful.
Please make sure that you first read the FAQ on this page. Contact me at email@example.com or fill out the form below: